Confessions of a Movie Slut

in the year 2006, our heroine embarks on her most treacherous challenge yet-to lead a decent life despite the insanity and pressures that come with academia. she pursues honours in english though her thesis is on film. an opportunity to prove to herself that she can think. and actually think hard. will she finally transcend the ways of the fuckwit to become a competent person? will she be able to watch all those movies without growing a tumour or becoming catatonic? stay tuned.

Monday, April 01, 2002

MOVIE REVIEW: IRIS

This cinematic experience is enlightening to say the least. It's my second time watching an r(a) movie on my own after Amelie. Having just turned 21about two weeks ago, I decided not to dress a little older and just go in all my casual splendour, jeans-tee-mashimaru watch and everything. The uncle usher gave me one long, suspicious look before relenting and letting me through. I think it was my very self-assured look. =p Once inside, I received weird looks from the other patrons...I think they've never seen a mashimaru watch before. But I digress, on to the movie itself!

Excellent, excellent stuff. A deserving win for Jim Broadbent(Moulin Rouge) in the Best Supporting Actor category at the Oscars. Huge kudos to Dame Judi Dench and Kate Winslet who portrays the older and younger Dame Iris Murdoch, renowned British writer and philosopher, respectively. Although I haven't seen Halle Berry's performance in Monster's Ball, I do feel sorry that the Best Actress oscar trophe didn't go to Dench as well as Best Supporting Actress didn't make it to Winslet's camp. It isn't easy taking on the role of a complex intellectual with the love for words and language. But Iris's love goes much further than that, and that is her thirst for life. She is a spokesperson for education and her struggle with alzheimer's disease becomes an education in itself for her. That although words, language and even whole, coherent thoughts may have failed her, her love and her spirit didn't. Full of symbols(European film makers are just better at this), emotions and meaning, don't let this one film pass you by. Definitely one to make an impact.
Official site.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home