Confessions of a Movie Slut

in the year 2006, our heroine embarks on her most treacherous challenge yet-to lead a decent life despite the insanity and pressures that come with academia. she pursues honours in english though her thesis is on film. an opportunity to prove to herself that she can think. and actually think hard. will she finally transcend the ways of the fuckwit to become a competent person? will she be able to watch all those movies without growing a tumour or becoming catatonic? stay tuned.

Thursday, June 20, 2002

Addicted to Kurosawa.

I'm a bad, baaad blogger. It's been forever again since I've updated. =p Can't help it...it's the hols and there's just so much to do! =) Just went out with my bestie Eileen today at Marina and Millenia Walk. We had a blast at DFS. Had dinner with my parents too at a halal Thai restaurant at Great World City. Had Tom Yam soup one of my biggest faves!!! And it was sooo good! Anyway, I've got 2 dvd/vcd/ld rentals near my place and the newer outlet has a better system of renting out dvds for the night or the weekend for as low as $3-$5 per night/day depending. The other older one uses this coupon system where we gotta fork out 60 bucks up front. Ack! I'm referring to rentals cuz I've been watching a lot of older movies these days and there're so many precious gems to discover. Good for those who's got movie channels on cable tv but for those who'd like to watch movies and at cheaper prices than cinema tickets, maybe you could consider watching rented videos. I just rack up my dad's classic collection. heh. Hope he doesn't realize some things are missing anytime soon. Anywayz, I'm so totally in love with Akira Kurosawa these days. I've heard about his most famous project "The Seven Samurai" but didn't get around to watching it until I found out that the Hollywood classic "The Magnificent Seven" was based on it. Kurosawa is amazing! I caught "Rashomon" and it just showed me how advanced Kurosawa's ideas were. I was convinced that he set the standards for our contemporary story telling methods. He has admirers in Francis Ford Copolla and George Lucas who's admitted that Star Wars was inspired by another Kurosawa movie, "The Hidden Fotress"(which my dad just got on dvd today. Yay!) But I guess it goes both ways since Kurosawa, himself, is inspired by western literature. His academy award winning "Ran" was based on Shakespeare's King Lear and he's worked on some European and English movies as well. Ok, ok I'll stop gushing and end my own one-girl forum. Just wanna say that Kurosawa is totally awesome and I so recommend Seven Samurai, Rashomon and Ran. I've yet to watch The Hidden Fotress....hehehehe *anticipation*

For more information on the director and his various works, visit the Akira Kurosawa Database.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home