Confessions of a Movie Slut

in the year 2006, our heroine embarks on her most treacherous challenge yet-to lead a decent life despite the insanity and pressures that come with academia. she pursues honours in english though her thesis is on film. an opportunity to prove to herself that she can think. and actually think hard. will she finally transcend the ways of the fuckwit to become a competent person? will she be able to watch all those movies without growing a tumour or becoming catatonic? stay tuned.

Sunday, June 23, 2002

It's been one heck of a weekend. Yesterday, me and a couple of undergrad mates went to East Coast beach for a potluck picnic. Jo brought her mum's famous mustard chicken, Ady brought pasta(and she made it all herself! clever girl!), Lou made some tuna with chili and mushrooms and brought ritz biscuits for the tuna so it turns out like these cute appetizers and Zita brought egg sandwhiches. I brought a new batch of my mum's great chicken pie. It was awesome that we ate and hung out together, just catching up. It's been ages since all of us have been together at the same place and the same time. The weather was good for an outdoor lunch anyway.

Today, I watched Windtalkers with my best movie buddy(simply because he's a movie fanatic like me), my dad. It's been a long time since I hung out with my dad at the movies also. Normally we watch almost at least one film a week at the theatre but we haven't done that for a long while now basically because he's got his things to do and I, mine. Not to mention it's just been a couple of weeks ago that he and I had a bit of issues going on. We didn't talk much and I pretty much ignored him. I don't understand why I couldn't bring myself to talk to him then either. Usually I'd have no problems doing that. I'm not sure when it happened, but the bad spell broke simply because we started talking. Sometimes I'm glad it's as simple as that. Windtalkers was entertaining enough but I didn't think it was that great. I've a feeling that Hollywood jumps on the patriotic bandwagon post Sept 11. But it's good enough to appreciate, my dad likes it a lot. But then again, War is his favourite genre. We had lunch at the Japanese restaurant in Hotel Intercontinental. Prices are a lil' more ex than the usual eateries I go to but the food is so excellent. We had a good talk then and he raised the issues we have had and we talked it through and came to an understanding. I feel good about it. I'm so glad things don't get sticky as they are prone to and that it's as simple as two people, fortunately, being on the same frequency. I understand that it's not always like that but in this situation I really needed that clean slate with no conflict. I'm grateful to whatever powers that be, which helped straightened things out. All that over a bowl of mixed tempura and I swear the prawns were as long as the sizable square bowls they came in. How the hell do you get tiger prawns to grow that big??? Steroids?? =p

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home