Confessions of a Movie Slut

in the year 2006, our heroine embarks on her most treacherous challenge yet-to lead a decent life despite the insanity and pressures that come with academia. she pursues honours in english though her thesis is on film. an opportunity to prove to herself that she can think. and actually think hard. will she finally transcend the ways of the fuckwit to become a competent person? will she be able to watch all those movies without growing a tumour or becoming catatonic? stay tuned.

Thursday, July 04, 2002

All my bags are packed, i'm ready to go
I'm standing here outside your door
I hate to wake you up to say goodbye

But the dawn is breaking, it's early morn
The taxi's waiting, he's blowin' his horn
Already i'm so lonesome i could die

So kiss me and smile for me
Tell me that you'll wait for me
Hold me like you'll never let me go

'Cause i'm leaving on a jet plane
I don't know when i'll be back again
Oh, babe, i hate to go

Ok, ok i'll stop singing. You guys have suffered enough! =D Just thought the song is appropriate for this occassion. My luggage is pakced! Well...mostly. And yes I'm ready to fly off to my destination of leisure! The flight's at 1020pm tonight and I'll arrive 7:40am the next morn. Will be back on the 13th which is a Saturday so I won't be updating for a few days. Till then I'll leave you guys with my top ten list of movies I absolutely have to watch this year or else I'll go on a rampage and tear the place down! hehehe
Not in chronological order:
1) Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood- based on a bestselling novel of the same title, it's a dramedy about a playwright Siddalee Walker who has a strained relationship with her mother after telling about her unhappy childhood to a magazine during an interview. Her mother's friends make up a secret society known as the Ya-Ya sisterhood who kidnap her from her apartment in New York and bring her over to Louisiana where they try patch things up between the 2 estranged women.

2) Men In Black 2- what can I say? I'm a sucker for sequels.

3) Gangs of New York- the very delayed Martin Scorcese(was supposed to be released in 2000) movie with dramatic shouting arguments with Miramax bigwig and executive producer, Harvey Weinstein over the length of the original film(which streched to about 4 hours). About the conflict between the anglo-saxon natives and the italian immigrants on the streets of young America of the 1840s-60s. Leonardo DiCaprio, Daniel Day-Lewis, Cameron Diaz and Jim Broadbent(2002 best supporting actor oscar winner for Iris) stars. Need I say more?

4) The Road To Perdition- this is one movie which I've been observing quite closely since pre-production and it's been looking good eversince so I've got quite a bit of faith and hype in this one. Based on a comic book, it stars Tom Hanks as an assassin named Michael Sullivan and also known as the angel of death. Set in the 1920s, the movie explores the bonds of loyalty and family when Sullivan's son chances upon what his father really does for a living. Also starring heavyweights Jude Law, Paul Newman and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

5) Full Frontal- the latest indie from director, Steven Soderbergh. It is rumoured to be a sequel to one of his first independent ventures back in the 90s, Sex, Lies and Videotape. And the premise is so unique noone has really been able to explain it. So it's def something interesting to look out for.Cast includes Julia Roberts, Nicky Katt, Blair Underwood, David Hyde Pierce and David Duchovny.

6) Signs- the newest M. Night Shyamalan thriller about crop circles and the mystery behind them which a family in Philidelphia is about to the discover. Stars Mel Gibson and Joaquin Phoenix.

7) Once Upon A Time In Mexico- Robert Rodriquez directs his latest take on El Mariachi(Antonio Bandares). A drug lord uprises against the Mexican government. Cast also includes Salma Hayek and Johnny Depp.

8) Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets- Ok, ok I admit it! I'm a Potter head ok!!!

9) Solaris- sci-fi directed by Steven Soderbergh about a space station orbiting an oceanic planet called Solaris. After a mysterious death of the commander of an expedition to the planet, a psychologist observe strange things happening as well. George Clooney heads the cast.

10) The Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers- how can anyone not want to watch this???? Whole cast returns.

Ok, I'm cheating a little...I'll sneak in a little bit more than 10. Hehe.

11) Confessions of a Dangerous Mind- Chuck Barris is a gameshow host by day and a CIA agent in secret. George Clooney's directorial debut. With Julia Roberts, Drew Barrymore, Mat Damon, Rutger Hauer and Fred Savage heading the cast.

12) Treasure Planet- Disney's end of the year animated feature which has a futuristic and very unique take on the Robert Louis Stevenson classic, Treasure Island. You guys gotta check out the trailer, very awesome stuff.

13) Catch Me If You Can- based on a true story about a young con-artist who makes it to the FBI's top ten most wanted list by impersonating dozens of people and cashing 6 million dollars in fraud in 26 countries. Stars Tom Hanks, Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Garner and Christopher Walken. Directed by Steven Spielberg.

14) Red Dragon- The prequel to The Silence of The Lambs. Anthony Hopkins, Edward Norton, Ralph Fiennes, Emily Watson, Harvey Keitel and the great but underrated Philip Seymour Hoffman make up the amazing cast.

15) Dagon- basically an indie thriller based on H.P Lovecraft's short story, Dagon. Looks really interesting.

List is subject to change. Hehe. =p The summer may be half over but the movies don't stop coming. And this is just my Americano list. I just checked the papers and Dueces Wild is opening while I'm gone!!! Why? Oh, why do the good stuff arrive when I'm due to leave??? It's a one big conspiracy... I should probably go and finish packing, yes?
Take care guys! Catch something good this weekend!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home