Confessions of a Movie Slut

in the year 2006, our heroine embarks on her most treacherous challenge yet-to lead a decent life despite the insanity and pressures that come with academia. she pursues honours in english though her thesis is on film. an opportunity to prove to herself that she can think. and actually think hard. will she finally transcend the ways of the fuckwit to become a competent person? will she be able to watch all those movies without growing a tumour or becoming catatonic? stay tuned.

Thursday, August 01, 2002

Driving and Wedding.

I went to the comfort driving centre @ Ubi yesterday to sign up for practical lessons having passed my basic and advanced theory 2 years ago. Yes, I procrastinated that long. I don't know why but the thought of driving and handling a car makes me a lil' nervous. I mean what if I skid and hit into another car? What if I can't even stop my car? Then it'll turn into this rogue vehicle that'll terrorise the circuit destroying everything in its path!!! Argh!! The only experience I've got is with daytona and bumper cars. And I don't I should depend on them. =p My first lesson is this coming Monday in the morn. Wish me luck. *prays hard*

I watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding this morn. It's cute but too full of cliches for my taste. There were a couple of priceless moments that made me laugh outright and there were some touching ones that made me tear a little(I'm a sucker for feel-good comedies about family). But lots and lots of corny dialogue to go with those moments too. The protagonist, Toula Portokalos(Nia Vardalos) a not-very-good-looking 30 year old Greek woman with a beautiful heart manages to keep my attention(quite a feat) on her relatable struggles as a filial daughter who dreams of doing something more with her life. But that comes with a price of venturing outside the conventions of her more traditional Greek family. The interaction between the actors, expecially of the family members, is quite impressive. I'm almost convinced they may be related in real life. Toula charms her way into the heart of a school teacher, Ian Miller(John Corbett). Here's where I'm not convinced. Ian Miller is like the personification of the perfect man/partner. He's sensitive, smart, funny and very extremely tolerant. Tolerant enough to not even bat an eyelid at some of the craziest antics pulled off by Toula's family. He agrees to do anything to make the family accept him including being baptized at the Greek orthodox church. So basically, he accepted everything, including the huge baggage that came with Toula. Not just customs and culture but religion and beliefs as well. I understand that's very noble of man who's truly in love but I find that highly idealistic as well especially when it occurs without any struggles or doubt or even any angst. And from the title, I'm sure you all know how the movie ends. Call me jaded, but it's all too fairytale-like for me. As much as I was charmed, I left the theatre utterly incredulous. It was all done too sweetly and loose ends were tied too nicely into lil' pink bows.

Shanghai Knights Trailer Out.

Yeap, it's the latest Jackie Chan flick with Fann Wong in it and the sequel to Shanghai Noon. I think Jacky's kungfu buddy flicks are quite entertaining as long as he holds the cheese. Anywayz, visit the official website and download the trailer and see if you can spot Fann Wong. Bat an eyelid and you might even miss her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home