Confessions of a Movie Slut

in the year 2006, our heroine embarks on her most treacherous challenge yet-to lead a decent life despite the insanity and pressures that come with academia. she pursues honours in english though her thesis is on film. an opportunity to prove to herself that she can think. and actually think hard. will she finally transcend the ways of the fuckwit to become a competent person? will she be able to watch all those movies without growing a tumour or becoming catatonic? stay tuned.

Thursday, July 18, 2002


I've been dropping dough like crumbs lately. On Tues, watched 2 more movies Dueces Wild and Minority Report. Hung out with my dad yesterday and watched Minority a second time since he wants to catch it as well. I've been looking forward to Dueces Wild for a while now and sadly, I was sorely disappointed. I had hoped it to be an Outsiders for the millenium. But the characters are just too prototypical and the shots/sequences too cliched for my liking. Ugh. Luckily I didn't put too much faith in Minority because I ended up liking the movie a lot. Fortunately the various genres of the film are quite seamlessly put together, science-fiction/drama/mystery and action. The plot is relatively well developed and there's that signature Spielberg resolution. My dad was a little confused about some of the details though we straightened that out after the movie. ;p I especially like the approach to the conflict between predestination and free will which gave rise to some religious overtones in the movie. The question of perfection and its struggle with limitations and flaws is also explored together with the exploration of the cold, hard truth behind a facade of goodness. All in all, I'm happy with the latest Spielberg product and it convinces me that the big guy still has what it takes to make great films and not to mention, it manages to keep me an interested, avid fan. So finally approaching broke and tired of going out, I trust I'll stay home today and watch dvds. Caught Cider House Rules this morning and it's really good. Not sure what I'll dig out of the dvd cupboard later. My friday's pretty relaxing. How's everyone's?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home