Confessions of a Movie Slut

in the year 2006, our heroine embarks on her most treacherous challenge yet-to lead a decent life despite the insanity and pressures that come with academia. she pursues honours in english though her thesis is on film. an opportunity to prove to herself that she can think. and actually think hard. will she finally transcend the ways of the fuckwit to become a competent person? will she be able to watch all those movies without growing a tumour or becoming catatonic? stay tuned.

Thursday, November 28, 2002

Amazing Race 3 Was In Singapore!!!!

Ok, so I caught Amazing Race 3 just now as usual and since it's down to 5 teams, next week will feature a special 2-hour episode at the end of which the winners shall emerge. And the teaser for next week so caught my attention because the teams will be shown journeying to Singapore!!! Wohooo!! I got totally excited and called Eileen the minute I got the news and she told me that she also knew cuz she heard about it over the radio today and she then said the radio announced that the teams and come and gone today itself!!! Cuz I thought it hasn't happened since the teaser said the teams will be arriving and guess who's the embassador to hand them the clues? PCK!!! The bloody beng, Chu Kang!!! And I was like....what???? *sigh* And my hopes were also dashed since I've wanted for a long time now to be one of those local passers-by on Amazing Race that the teams stop to ask for directions in each country/state/town. I had dreams of dramatically pointing to somewhere far ahead and telling the frantic team who chances upon me, "The merlion's that way...." muahahaha.

Anyway, since my aspirations to have a few-seconds spot on Amazing Race came to no avail, i'll comfort myself with more movies. Yeah so watching Chamber of Secrets for the second time turned out to be just as fun! =p I'm a Potter sucker! Anyhow, I finally watched Cube on my comp a couple of days ago. Downloaded it like a month or so ago. I didn't manage to catch it back in '97 when it hit the theatres and it has quite the cult status. It's a really good film. It's a psychological thriller and quite the mathematical suspense. Not like I'm a math genius or anything, in fact...I hated math in school. =p The movie's about a group of 6 strangers who woke up in a strange structure with no memory of how they got there. The structure has numerous square rooms and they have to travel from one "cube" room to the next, like a maze with doors to other cube rooms to be found on all the four walls that make up each room as well 2 more on the floor and the ceiling. So basically, they have 6 passageways to figure out in each room alone but the problem doesn't stop there. Not only is it nearly impossible to figure out the right path to get out of the structure but selected cube rooms are rigged with lethal traps and the only way to figure this deadly maze out is to check out the serial numbers of each room situated at the individual thresholds/passageways before entering one. First, I got a little nervous when Leaven, the math genius of the group, started to discover that prime numbers and factors could save their lives..and I totally freaked when permutations came into play to work with the coordinates to help them find the "bridge" because aside from all their previously mentioned problems, the cube rooms also move around periodically. Talk about serious shit. But it's very accessible in general since the writer and director of the film, Andre Bijelic, confessed to not being very good in math either. I felt it presented interesting insight of basic human interaction and the dynamics of such relationships under very stressful, claustrophobic situations. Tiredness and fear will eventually give way to paranoia and the ugliness of basic human nature will rise from within and destroy themselves...just like the evil human forces that built the Cube in the first place. It's quite an original piece of science fiction work which reminded me of another well done film, Alex Proyas' Dark City. But a warning to those who might wanna check Cube out, the ending does not give any information on what exactly the Cube is. That is something for the viewers to decide... The sequel Hypercube was released earlier this year in the States. I don't know if it'll reach our shores. But Cube is def worth checking out in my opinion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home