Confessions of a Movie Slut

in the year 2006, our heroine embarks on her most treacherous challenge yet-to lead a decent life despite the insanity and pressures that come with academia. she pursues honours in english though her thesis is on film. an opportunity to prove to herself that she can think. and actually think hard. will she finally transcend the ways of the fuckwit to become a competent person? will she be able to watch all those movies without growing a tumour or becoming catatonic? stay tuned.

Friday, November 15, 2002

A Magical Evening...and some!

My best friends and I decided to do something on a whim some weeks ago. I think it was on the day we celebrated Eileen's birthday on the 27th of October. We were having such good fun celebrating with food and each other's company, we decided to come up with a day we shall meet every month, just the 3 of us and go all out. Like we eat good stuff or do something really fun and we can even buy one another gifts...whether small or big, it's up to us. No obligations too. Jia came up with the name "Our Day"...and I came up with a date, 15th. I dunno why, but I just brashly chose that date cuz it's somewhat like the middle of every month. So we bought one another gifts. Thanks Jia! You really read my mind with the present you gave me.. =) We had dinner at a simple place, BK. =p And then we watched Harry Potter And The Chamber of Secrets...

And lemme tell ya, this is one kick-ass movie. I mean that seriously. I enjoyed the first installment from last year but this one totally upstaged its predecessor. And that's something quite hard to do. Its plot fully utilizes the classical structure of conventional but satisfying story-telling. And its characters are well developed, not to mention that the actors have improved, having somewhat settled into the skins of their respective characters more comfortably. In this sequel, Harry(Daniel Radcliffe) doesn't heed the warnings of Dobby the house elf to stay away from Hogwarts, School of Witchcraft and Wizardry where a new dangerous evil lurks within school grounds. With the help of Ron(Rupert Grint), Harry's bestfriend...and I tell ya, this guy is funny! =)...but I digress....Harry escapes the tyrannical clutches of his muggle Uncle Vernon to return to Hogwarts where he and his friends including the brainy and delightful Hermione(Emma Watson) have to solve the mystery revolving around The Chamber of Secrets.

I don't know how faithful Chamber of Secrets is to its literary counterpart but I do know Philosopher's Stone follows the book almost to a tee. But having caught this movie, I sure am inspired to read the rest of the Potter books! =) I don't know if this movie can convert the most jaded of film goers but I do forewarn a word of caution to watch it with an open mind and to understand its culture. This is after all a predominantly childrens' phenomenon and if it can keep an adult like me on the edge of my seat, then it has got to be doing something right also. =) It's like the E.T for this generation's kids. It gave me the same sense of wonder and adventure and I had fun the whole 2 hours and 40 mins...yes the movie's that long. So if you think you're game enough to have a taste of the Potter universe, I really suggest you watch this film. Who knows. It might turn you into a Potterhead. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home